Monday, April 07, 2008

No Fear of Snakes

We went to the Wakulla Spring State Park for a Wildlife Festival where we saw a presentation on snakes. The presenter was from Georgia Southern University and his goal was to educate the audience about the misconceptions of snakes. Everything he said about what the general public does when they see snakes what right on for me. 1st thing...SCREAM- Why do you scream, the snakes do not have ears so they cannot hear you? 2nd thing...RUN- Why do you run, the snake only moves 2 to 3 miles per hour and a fast snake goes about 5 miles per hour? 3rd thing..kill the snake- Why do that when they control rat/mouse population. (I don't think I could personally kill a snake but I would definitely run as fast as I could.) Anyhow he showed a few snakes and explained the difference between venomous and non-venomous snakes. He brought out a corn snake and guess who wanted to be a part of the show...Sterling. She marched right out there in front of everyone and held that snake. Cassidy wanted to go out there so bad!! Finally at the end of the presentation they had a snake out for everyone to touch and Cassidy got her turn!! They are brave girls!





No comments: